Friday, February 28, 2014

January 14, 2014

January 14 has always been a special day for my it is my best friend Robin's Birthday and this year 2014 TJ and I welcomed Maxwell Thomas to our family, He came into this world at 4:44 in the morning and was welcomed by 2 midwives, my mom Sandy and TJ's mom Mary Lee. TJ and I had our other boys in the hospital and decided that it would be a more relaxed and much less medical intervention if we were able to birth at home.

I began looking into a midwife and at first was not successful until one day at about 14 weeks pregnant I got an email from the Lucina Centre where I was paired with Carly and Chantel, I met with the 2 of them for the next 25 weeks, They took such great care of me answered all my questions and when I started having contractions at 32 weeks I was sent to the hospital just to have everything checked out ... as it turned out I am just the unlucky person that got to have contractions for 6 weeks. With the other boys I did have contraction early as well but not that early. I started having contractions, Real contractions on January 7th and dilated to 4 cm with contractions at 4 minutes apart, then the contractions "stopped" I was only having contraction about once an hour until a week later when they finally picked up again and I went into labour for "real"

. Tj and I had decided to have a home birth and what an experience, we had the most amazing water birth in a birthing tub. I laboured in the tub for about 3 hours and then the time had arrived to push him out. It only took a few pushes and he little head was out under the water, I was in a squatted position and TJ was holding my hand to hold me up I finally gave it a final push and baby was out. We did not know he was a "He" until that moment and I was the only one that knew, he was wrapped in a towel still connected to the placenta and all I could think was that he was so perfect, and that he wasn't a girl, being our fourth boy we were all hopeful for a girl but with no luck. I shared my little secret that he was a boy with TJ and the family and everyone was over joyed! TJ and I spent the next few minutes falling in love with our sweet little boy. The midwives and TJ clamped the cord and TJ had the honours to cut the bond that allowed our sweet baby to be alive. Once that was complete the backup midwife took Max and checked him over while I deliver the placenta. Once all was said and done I got out of the pool and was wished to bed where I got very comfortable, unlike all those hospital beds.   Maxwell was being checked over to make sure all was well 10 fingers and 10 toes and such. He was and is Perfect!  We decided that would be a good time to wake the boys so TJ went down stairs and got the boys while the Moms,  and my step dad Cal poured the group a glass of champagne to commemorate the occasion. We toasted to Max on his birth and to all of us for a job well done! It was so wonderful to have the kids there with us to enjoy Max and his first few moments of life.  The boys were so excited to have a new brother.

We had the honour of having a dear friend photograph the process and it is just wonderful to have this experience captured in such a permanent way. Jenn @ PictureUsThere I will be posting a few of the birth pic's at a later date. I would also encourage anyone that would want their birth to be captured, to look into having a birth photographer involved it will free up your husband to be more focused on you! We also had a friend ask if she could take some newborn pic's of Max and I have posted a few of the wonderful shot she got. Ashley @ Love & Laugh Photography . I want to thank both of them for giving us such wonderful memories that we can hold forever!




No comments:

Post a Comment